BRISBANE’s Alex Witherden has capped an impressive first month of his AFL career by being named the Rising Star nominee for Round 17.
Witherden, who debuted against the GWS Giants in Round 14, is averaging 24.5 possessions and a gain of 345.6 metres.
He had 28 disposals in the loss to Richmond yesterday.
Originally from Barwon Heads on Victoria’s Surf Coast, Witherden first came onto the radar in 2015 with the Geelong Falcons in the TAC Cup.
A broken leg derailed most of his 2016 season, but the Lions had seen enough to take him with pick No.23 in last year’s National Draft.
Witherden is the Lions’ third Rising Star nominee for 2017, following Eric Hipwood in Round 5 and Hugh McCluggage in Round 15.
2017 RISING STAR NOMINEES
- Round 1: Sam Powell-Pepper (Port Adelaide)
- Round 2: Ryan Burton (Hawthorn)
- Round 3: Brandan Parfitt (Geelong)
- Round 4: Andrew McGrath (Essendon)
- Round 5: Eric Hipwood (Brisbane Lions)
- Round 6: Caleb Marchbank (Carlton)
- Round 7: Sam Petrevski-Seton (Carlton)
- Round 8: Tim Taranto (GWS Giants)
- Round 9: Tom Phillips (Collingwood)
- Round 10: Wayne Milera (Adelaide)
- Round 11: Dan Butler (Richmond)
- Round 12: David Cunningham (Carlton)
- Round 13: Jack Silvagni (Carlton)
- Round 14: Hugh McCluggage (Brisbane Lions)
- Round 15: Blake Hardwick (Hawthorn)
- Round 16: Charlie Curnow (Carlton)
- Round 17: Alex Witherden (Brisbane Lions)