Local Councils Tasked with Building Thousands of Homes

June 18, 2024 12:23 pm in by
Credit: FiledIMAGE via Getty Images.

Greater Bendigo’s real estate market could see 37,500 new homes by 2051, according to the Victorian Government’s draft housing capacity targets.

The Government is kicking off the next stage of local government consultation with the final targets due by the end of the year.

Mount Alexander Shire could also grow by 4,300 new dwellings and Macedon Ranges Shire is expected to expand by 12,700 new houses.

Article continues after this ad

Member for Bendigo East and Premier Jacinta Allan says the targets will help local councils grow with the expected population growth.

By 2056, Greater Bendigo’s population is expected to grow by 87,000 people, requiring 38,000 new dwellings.

Previously, Bendigo’s Council proposed that 70% of new urban development should be built in established areas, while the remaining 30% would be in growth areas such as Strathfieldsaye, Maiden Gully, Huntly, and Marong, pending further investigation.