City of Greater Bendigo Awarded Flood Recovery Funds

January 11, 2024 8:54 am in by
Credit: Walter Bibikow via Getty Images.

Following weeks of wild weather, the Federal and State governments have activated the joint-funded disaster assistance package for communities impacted by the Victorian Floods and Storms.

Under the Commonwealth-State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA), assistance will be provided to communities and councils within the registered Local Government Areas of: Alpine Shire, Baw Baw Shire, Benalla Rural City, Campaspe Shire, East Gippsland Shire, Gannawarra Shire, Greater Bendigo, Loddon Shire, Macedon Ranges Shire, Mansfield Shire, Mitchell Shire, Mount Alexander Shire, Murrindindi Shire, South Gippsland Shire, Strathbogie Shire, Wellington Shire and Yarra Ranges Shire.

Further councils may be added in the coming days.

Article continues after this ad

Acting CEO for the City of Greater Bendigo, Brian Westley, says Council will listen to the community and residents as to what they spend this funding on.

Emergency Recovery Victoria (ERV) is continuing to work with local councils to understand the assistance required to support communities following the floods and storms. Councils can notify ERV of impacts via the Claims Management System or email

Eligible community members whose homes have been impacted by the Victorian Floods and Storms can access emergency relief assistance through the Personal Hardship Assistance Program (PHAP) led by the Victorian Department of Families, Fairness, and Housing.

You are eligible for a relief payment if you have unmet immediate relief needs and your principal place of residence is, or was, in an evacuation warning area. Also if the floods or storms have damaged your home, or if your home has flooded above the floor, you will be able to access the relief payment.

Assistance under the PHAP includes a one-off payment of $640 per adult and $320 per child up to a maximum of $2,240 per eligible family to help cover the costs of essentials like food, clothing, medication, and accommodation. Payments are a fixed amount for each member of a household and are not calculated based on how much money you earn.

Article continues after this ad

Support from the Federal and Victorian Governments will also provide funding for Local Governments’ counter-disaster operations, including making residential properties safe and habitable, and emergency works for urgent transport, infrastructure, and public assets restoration.

If you think you may be eligible for a relief payment, please visit an Emergency Relief Centre, or call your local council. You can search for your local council at

If your business has been impacted, reference your insurance policies or contact your local council for support.

Information on disaster assistance is available on the Australian Government’s website at and the VicEmergency website